Monday, January 11, 2010

CRUSADE No. 36 ~ Braving the Elements




I decided to start participating again in the GPP Street Team challenges put on by
Michelle Ward. This months challenge had us making paper snowflakes and using them as masks and then as elements on the page. In addition I used a bird stencil, snowflake stamps and colored and charcoal pencil. This was a fun exercise that I would do a little different the next time. I was using my paper bag journal and with all the texture it sometimes is hard to get stamps to work. Click on the link above to look at what all the other challengers are doing this month.



I have spent the last 2 days cleaning and reorganized both the weaving and art studios. They are both functional now but what a lot of work. I want to work at not getting things into such a big mess this year. Wish me luck I am going to need it.

Lynn asked on how I did that transfer before painting my self portrait. Its was just a basic gel transfer using Golden Soft Gel Matte Medium. I lather gel on the image, place it face down on the substrate I want to transfer it to and smooth out the paper with a piece of mat board and wait a few minutes and then pull the paper off and the image should transfer. I have been thinking if perhaps I left it on longer I might get better results. I was using an image from an ink jet printer. I hope that answered your question.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful page though, Kate ! I lovethe blue bird and how the flags and their vibrant color pops off the icy blue.
    Enjoy your clean space.
    Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are pretty! Birds are one of my favorite things. I always forget to add them, though. How odd!

    I'm glad you joined in. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pages. I love how you used the charcoal...I never thought about outlines. I agree winter is about quiet moments and rejuevenation.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about doing this challenge, too but I haven't done it yet. I like the photo of all the prayer flags blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pages! I am keeping al my paper bags now, hope to make a journal from them. Do you know if there is a tutorial somewhere, how to make a paper bag journal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. neat bird with your snowflakes. I love seeing birds in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wintery page turned out beautiful!

    Good luck on keeping it clean in your studio, hehe, I couldn't be neat when creating but you could always try... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pages are great! I enlarged to get a better look at the texture and the stitching is cool, too.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh I love all the texture your paper bag book creates..as well as your bird stencil. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pages and especially love the way you decorated them after finishing. so unique and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how the photo introduces a shot of red. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.