Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Solstice

Its the Winter Solstice today. Most of us know this day as the shortest day of the year. After this date days are longer and eventually the sun will be coming back till we reach the Summer Solstice or longest day of the year. I always like to celebrate these two dates. It makes me feel closer to my ancestors and connected to the natural world.



















This year I added journal pages. This first one symbolizes the darkness of winter. It can be a time of reflection and letting go. I like to write down the things in my life that I am willing to let go of on a piece of paper. Then I place them in a fire and let them go. It is a simple ritual but it is also full of meaning.




















This page represents the return of the sun. I used a piece of embossed wallpaper as the sun and decorated it will alcohol ink and re-inkers. The background was created with Neocolor II watercolor crayons.



I loved this little video, what fun.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Solstice ! I hope you feel full of light from within !

    Love the video ! And the bird page ! And the tune !

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice way to celebrate Winter Solstice! I guess this means we are looking at our longest day of the year DownUnder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful way to celebrate 'Winter Solstice"!
    Love your journal pages, and thank you for sharing these videos, what fun. :]
    p.s. thank you for the thoughtful Christmas card. *hugs* Such a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah rituals - they are so important. They sustained our ancestors and we need to create more space for them in our lives. Summer Solstice here and it is very hot, so can't think straight today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too like your ritual and journal pages. I don't know where or how you find the time to do so much, Kate. Everything is beautiful, xoO

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.