Friday, August 1, 2014

Exploring Rituals For Creative Projects















Just what is a ritual.  In looking for a proper definition I found several ways to look at a ritual.   A ritual can be seen as a religious or solemn ceremony consisting of a series of actions performed according to a prescribed order. A ritual doesn't have to religious in nature all it needs to be is a series of acts performed  in the same way.  It can be as simple as lighting a candle or putting on music.

I've been exploring rituals this past week. My goal for this is to discover a way to make my writing a major focus.  I am getting distracted by so many other things.  I figured if I could design a ritual and follow it pretty soon I'd have a regular practice and I wouldn't need the ritual anymore. I would still do it because the act of creating the space for writing would still be important.

My first thought was to create a list of things that I could use as a ritual.
  • Candle.
  • Talisman - like a figurine.
  • Feather.
  • Writing jewelry.
  • Oracle cards.
  • Headset.
  • Music.
  • Set a timer.
  • Set goals.
  • Cup of tea.
  • Sage or incense.
  • Silence.
  • Use Freedom software - internet blocking software.
  • Look at book vision board for inspiration.
  • Put in planner, carve out the time like I have an appointment.
Then I planned to try it at different times of day. I had a little trouble getting started. The list was so long that it seemed daunting. So I just started simply.

1st attempt:
Choose oracle card.  Ponder its meaning.
Put ravens and feather on my desk.
Silence, ie no music.  This worked fine but the next day I did nothing.

2nd attempt:
No ritual, I just wrote because I kept putting it off.

3rd attempt.
Went out to our trailer.
There was no internet access.
I put on some instrumental music.
Got a glass of ice water. This worked.

So the next day I tried it again. Now the internet worked out there and I got distracted. So I loaded the Freedom software which turns off your internet.  This worked great.

After my call with my writing coach I came up with a new idea. My goal for the week was to Write at least one hour a day. I can't go to bed until I have written.  This seems to be working out great. I have done this 3 days in a row now. I am writing late at night but at least I am doing it.

Lessons Learned

So what have I learned in the process.

1. Its helpful to try different things until you find something that works for you.
2. The same thing won't work every time.
3. Be flexible and be patient with yourself.
4. If you invest in yourself and your goal you will accomplish it.

Do you ever create rituals for yourself?





1 comment:

  1. I don't really have rituals for creating but I seldom have music so maybe that's my ritual...silence. And once in a while I light a candle. I did artist's pages for several years and found them very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.