Thursday, August 14, 2014

Inspire - Mandala














This is my spread from Spectrum's Inspire section on creating sacred mandala's. I have been having problems getting to my writing so I wanted to create this mandala with the intention of making it better. The page was gessoed first to add some texture. Then I added golden paints in favorite colors, turquoise thalo, quinacridone, nickel azo gold, indian yellow hue, manganese blue and titanium white. I used a catalyst mini blade to spread the paint and then sprayed water on the page to move the paint around and let it dry.




















The mandala was drawn with a compass.  I added the inner circle with some paper I had stamped words on. The rest was drawn with a Scarlet lime pen and a Prismacolor marker.




















I perused Pinterest inspiration boards for great quotes on writing. The face was a stencil that I painted black. I chose to add a feminine image along with birds from nature and images relating to writing. I used colored pencil on the black and white print of pens. This piece became a conglomeration of many things.
















This bird is a stamp. I chose a light area to add her so the words would show up.
















Little sweet spots of other birds were added. I love all the different colors that show up in this background close up. This was a fun piece to create and is full of deep meaning for me.

6 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love the depth of the colors and layers, and the messages. Thanks for telling about how you did it and what the symbols and images are for--I love this little peek inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thanks, I am glad you enjoyed it. It was my attempt to combine writing and art to get me moving in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Cool effects! Nice mandala full of good creative energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, Mandala's are such a great tool and so much fun to create.

      Delete
  3. I love this, Kate! The colors are some of my favorites and I think the mandala looks beautiful. The bird with the quote is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Thanks, that bird stamp is one I often forget I have. But I like using it.

      Delete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.